Flying Unicorn has monthly challenges ranging from stamping, mixed media, cards, layouts, etc...They have great prizes and best of all they draw random winners. I love the fact that everyone has a chance to win!
One of the August Challenges at Flying Unicorn is to use at least 3 die cuts and alter at least one of those. I have been planning on using the gears die cut on my silhouette for a layout of my grandson. This die cut went perfectly with the Bo Bunny Grease Monkey collection I have in my scrapbooking stash. As everyone knows, I adore Bo Bunny. I have a whole cabinet filled with nothing but Bo Bunny!
I babysit my grandchildren during the time we were planting grass. We had a huge pile of top soil in our driveway. What boy doesn't love to play in dirt. So I have the boys some bowls, the water hose and just let them have at that huge pile of dirt.
My layout is using one of the pictures I took. How cute!
I altered 6 die cuts..
I cut the gear die cuts out using my Silhouette SD. I used Copic markers, Tim Hotz Distress ink and Tim Holtz Adirondac Ink to color the die cut gears.
I then embossed them several times using Utee Ultra Thick Melt Art Embossing Enamel. The first coat will give you a rough look. Such as this....
If you emboss it several times it will give you a a smooth glossy finish like this one...
I love playing with Utee! If you haven't tried this technique..be careful and do not touch it on the second and third coats until it dries..it's super hot!
After the die cuts were cooled and dried I added a few watch parts to the gears to give my altered die cuts a little more interest and texture.